The Archives

Howell's School, Llandaff is fortunate to possess an extensive collection of archive material.

The records include a complete set of Governors’ Minutes from 1859 and registration details of every girl who has attended the school since 1860.

All aspects of school life are represented and the records take many different forms, such as school and Hywelian Magazines, accounts books, letters, concert and play programmes, maps and plans, certificates, inspection reports, an early surgeon’s journal, photographs, newsletters, prospectuses and drawings.

There are also records relating to the Girls’ Day School Trust and other official documents. In addition, the Archives Room contains various tape recordings and other records stored on electronic media. There is an increasing number of artefacts, ranging from original candle-holding reading-lamps and early school uniforms to prefects’ badges and 1950s stiletto heel protectors for the floors!

All the school magazines and the Hywelian magazines from 1906-1971 have now been digitised. For more information, please click here.

The main reasons for maintaining the archives are: 

  • To preserve relevant material relating to the history of Howell’s School for the benefit of future generations 

  • To cultivate and foster an awareness of the school’s rich heritage and its importance in the history of women’s education 

  • To make the material available, accessible and comprehensible to researchers, internal or external 

  • To answer enquiries from members of the public 

  • To provide appropriate material for publicity and other purposes. 

We are very grateful to former students and other well-wishers who have kindly donated material to the Archives, and are always happy to accept new material.

The Head Archivist is Mrs Janet Sully, who is helped by three volunteers: Mrs Sue Rayner, Miss Julia Farnham and Miss Michelle Ingram (Hywelians). 

We are pleased to receive enquiries and enjoy undertaking the necessary research.

We also welcome visitors who wish to undertake their own research. Requests for information and for visits should be made to howarchive@how.gdst.net or Hywelians@how.gdst.net

The Hywelian Museum

The museum was officially opened on Saturday 28th January, 2012. It is housed in the Board Room, which also still serves as a meeting room for the Governors and others, and as a waiting area for visitors.

The museum adopts a broadly chronological approach, with information panels guiding the visitor through the school’s history from the time of the Tudor merchant Thomas Howell to 2007, when Mrs Jane Fitz retired as Principal. There are several display cases of various sizes, housing a variety of documents and artefacts, a small “Victorian classroom” and several samples of school uniform displayed on mannequins as well as some other large items.

A large screen displays a revolving series of images, showing Howell’s School Then and Now. A complete set of school and Hywelian Magazines is also kept in the Board Room for consultation. As it is impossible to display anything like all the archive material, it is planned to have temporary exhibitions on different themes as time goes on.

Since September 2012, those members of the public who visit the school as part of the national Open Doors Scheme are able to see the museum, but others are welcome at different times by appointment.

Please contact Mrs Janet Sully on howarchive@how.gdst.net or Hywelians@how.gdst.net to arrange a visit.

 

 

 

 

Howell's School provides tremendous "value-added" in terms of public examination results, which are consistently higher than predicted in independent assessments.